Priority Investment Program
The Priority Investment Program (PIP) has been established by the ACT Government to work with industry, research and the tertiary sectors to attract investment and grow established and emerging priority areas of Canberra’s economy.
It is about working with like-minded partners to unlock opportunities for Canberra businesses and encourage commercialisation.
When government, industry and the higher education and research sectors work together, we can ensure Canberra competes well in the global contest for investment and talent
PIP builds on the significant investment the ACT Government has delivered to the tertiary education and research sector to develop critical mass and capability in the sectors that can significantly contribute to the ongoing diversification of Canberra’s economy.
- Attract and retain investment to grow Canberra’s knowledge-based economy.
- Make strategic investments that will unlock opportunities in the priority sectors.
- Build sustainable partnerships between the ACT Government, education and research institutions, industry and investors.
Projects will be considered under the Priority Investment Program that can:
- Demonstrate how the project will attract and retain an inward flow of investment and talent into priority sectors;
- Establish or deepen collaboration between industry, higher education and research and Government to align capabilities in advanced technology sectors;
- Realise and sustain both latent and potential growth opportunities for the ACT’s knowledge-based economy; and
- Demonstrate collaboration by a diverse mix of activity, industry and firm sizes.
Past projects that have received funding under the Priority Investment Program include:
- ANU/CSIRO: for an emerging Agri-Technology Innovation Hub which is home to several innovative agri-technology companies that have co-located at the Centre to access the ANU and CSIRO’s capabilities ($1.3 million).
- ITP Renewables Pty Ltd: for collaboration with industry and the tertiary sector to establish a Distributed Energy Resources Laboratory at the ANU that will provide interface with the energy grid to test devices and get data about how energy networks function ($1.5 million)
- ANU: for the development of Australia’s first quantum optical ground station at Mount Stromlo, which will enable participation in existing global communications networks and attract international business and world leading research groups for optical communications to space ($800,000)
- Skycraft (UNSW): for collaboration with local and international partners on the design and manufacture of small satellite constellations for the delivery of space-based air traffic management services, a global niche market that has considerable export potential ($1 million).
- AustCyber: to deliver the Canberra Cyber Security Innovation Node ($600,000).
Next funding round
The PIP – Jobs and Economic Recovery Funding Round is now open. Further information is available on the Priority Investment Program webpage.
Innovation Connect Grants
The Innovation Connect Grants program is designed to help Canberra-based businesses develop innovative products and services.
The Canberra Innovation Network, in partnership with the ACT Government, delivers the Innovation Connect (ICON) Grant program and provides matched funding between $10,000 and $30,000.
The program supports the thriving startup culture in Canberra and empowers entrepreneurs to develop and grow their innovative ideas.
If your business is in the early stages of preparing an innovative product or service for investment or commercialisation, then ICON may be able to help you get to the next step.
The ICON Grant program:
- Supports innovative, entrepreneurial ideas to a market ready position including market testing;
- Supports projects that prove the technical or commercial feasibility of a concept;
- Supports the development of product prototype or functional software;
- Assists with the development and testing of effective marketing approaches; and
- Assists with legal, IP and patenting advice.
Next funding round
Funding round currently open and will close on 3 August 2020.
To find out more please visit: https://cbrin.com.au/icon
CBR Screen Fund
The CBR Screen Fund is delivered by Screen Canberra whose remit is to support and grow the local Australian Capital Territory (ACT) screen industry.
The Fund is a multipurpose, strategic fund that seeks projects, opportunities and partners that can best meet the objectives and criteria of the Fund.
The Fund partners on the development, production and marketing of high quality feature films, television series and other screen projects from ACT practitioners or interstate/international practitioners that have significant Canberra elements and benefit, are capable of reaching local and international audiences and delivering commercial success.
For more information please visit: https://www.screencanberra.com.au/cbr-screen-fund
First Wednesday Connect
On the first Wednesday of every month between 5.00pm – 6.30pm, the Canberra Innovation Network runs the First Wednesday Connect which brings about 200 innovators, entrepreneurs, start-ups, mentors, investors, researchers, students and creatives together in a highly interactive format.
It’s a great way to meet new people and make business connections. You will also hear from Canberra’s budding entrepreneurs in our high intensity 60 second pitching format and meet new people over drinks and nibbles.
To find out more go to http://cbrin.com.au/fwc
Or visit the CBRIN Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CBRinnovation
Weekly Innovation Challenge
The Canberra Innovation Network is currently running a Weekly Innovation Challenge for every entrepreneur, founder and business leader to learn how to create and test a new idea or change in your business.
To find out more go to https://cbrin.com.au/events/weekly-innovation-challenge