The ACT Government supports the Canberra region defence industry by:
- Promoting our defence industry capability
- Growing our defence industry capability
- Building and attracting skills and talent
- Coordinating and facilitating industry engagement opportunities
Promoting our defence industry capability
The ACT Government together with the ACT Defence Industry Advisory Board are working to assist SMEs and the research institutions in advocating and showcasing their capability to national and international defence decision-makers.
- Canberra Region Defence Industry Capability Directory
- Team Canberra presence at key industry events
- The ACT Government coordinates opportunity for members of the local defence industries to participate as part of Team Canberra at key industry events.
- Representing Canberra Region Businesses
- Defence Ambassadors attend key industry events and meetings with senior decision-makers and primes to represent and promote Canberra region capabilities.
Growing our defence industry capability
With our businesses, infrastructure, innovation and research strengths, Canberra is well placed to grow and sustain a thriving defence sector. In addition we have:
- A strong local economy and supportive government to encourage industry growth
- Access to a large, highly technical and scientific workforce
- World-class infrastructure and facilities
- A developed and capable industry ecosystem
- Close proximity to top-ranked universities and research institutions
The ACT Government is committed to working with the local defence sector to help build a significant and globally competitive industry including:
- Committing $9.75 million over three years to support the growth of key sectors including the defence industry.
- Ongoing identification and promotion of investment and trade opportunities within the defence industry in Canberra.
- Collaborating with all sector players to define strategic focus for growing the industry.
- Continuing to attract and support emerging technologies, talent, and businesses in Canberra.
Building Skills and talent
The scale and potential of our defence, cyber and space capability begins with our people and our ability to attract talent and knowledge.
- Canberra has Australia’s most highly educated and skilled population with 52% holding a bachelor degree or higher.
- Canberra is Australia’s higher education capital with 5 high quality universities.
- Canberra is Australia’s leading knowledge city and is home to world-class research organisations and think tanks such as Data61, CSIRO, Space Environment Research Centre, and the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.
The ACT Government is working to assist industry attract and retain the skills and talent needed to grow. Current areas of activity include Veterans’ Employment, STEM graduates as well as connecting industry to local research institutions.
Coordinating and facilitating industry engagement opportunities
The ACT Government is the contact point for the Canbera region defence industry and Department of Defence. We deliver opportunitites to promote, collaborate and build opportunities through initiatives such as industry networking events, information sessions and Team Canberra activities.
We work in partnership with our local networks to foster opportunities to network, collaborate and build local capability, including: