Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Advice for ACTPS Employees and Managers
Employee arrangements during the Novel Coronavirus (covid-19)
On 16 March 2020, the Minister for Health signed an instrument declaring a public health emergency under section 119 of the Public Health Act 1997. This is the first time a public health emergency has been declared in the ACT.
The ACT Government is monitoring the rapidly developing situation regarding COVID-19 and taking a precautionary approach to managing the risk of spread of the virus. ACT Government is operating in line with advice and recommendations from ACT Health Directorate and the Australian Government Department of Health.
Information on the COVID-19 can be found on the ACT Health Website and the Australian Government Department of Health Website.
Across the ACT Public Service (ACTPS) we are focused on the wellbeing of our workforce, while continuing to support our ministers and our community.
The Head of Service has endorsed the following information and guidance for employees and supervisors to manage employee arrangements during this public health emergency:
- Emergency Response - ACTPS Staff Entitlements During Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (PDF 321.9 KB) Word version (170 KB) (Modified Date 24 March 2019) – provides advice on managing workforce leave entitlements in the ACTPS during the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Guidance on the application of leave in relation to COVID-19 purposes (other than personal leave) (PDF 240.4 KB) (Word version 160.7 KB) (Modified Date 24 March 2019) – provides advice on pre-approved leave for COVID-19 purposes.
- ACTPS Travel Advice in relation to COVID-19 (PDF 264 KB) (Word version 161 KB) – provides advice on current domestic and international travel restrictions.
- Emergency Response – ACTPS Advice about Critical Frontline Workers During the COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF 167.4 KB) Word version (80.3 KB) (Modified 6 April 2020) – provides advice on the management of critical frontline positions.
It’s important to be prepared, should you need to work from home during this public health emergency.
- ACTPS WHS resource: COVID-19 and working from home checklist (Word version 171 KB)
- Shared Services ICT Advice - action required for remote access (PDF 278 KB) – this advice sets out the steps that all staff must do now to get ready.
Frequently asked questions
Answers to frequently asked questions regarding Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) are available on the Employment Portal.
Please refer to this page for regular updates and contact your Directorate HR area for specific advice in the first instance. For more general advice please email the Public Sector Workplace Relations team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Work health, safety and wellbeing information for the ACTPS
This information is only available to ACTPS employees.
Workplace health and safety (WHS) is always a high priority. With the ACT Government and community response to reduce the impact of COVID19 increasing, we are putting proactive measures in place in our workplaces to slow the spread of COVID-19 and prepare for the risk of the virus spreading in the ACT community. We need to be prepared to change how we work as the impact of COVID-19 on our community changes. The Work health and safety COVID-19 site (access only for ACTPS employees) provides information and resources to support health, safety and wellbeing in our workplaces, and working from home, as we respond to COVID-19 in our community. Resources on this page include:
- protocol for managing cases of COVID-19 in the workplace
- infection prevention strategies - Social distancing and meeting management
- working from home - Working from home guidance
- vulnerable workers - ACTPS WHS guidance – COVID-19 and WHS requirements for vulnerable workers.
Guidance and resources
Directorate specific information and guidance:
Other resources available:
- ACTPS Enterprise agreements
- ATO factsheet - Public servants working from home due to COVID-19
- Department of Health COVID-19 home isolation factsheet
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Workplace Policy
- Healthy Minds – Thriving Workplaces, An integrated mental health and wellbeing strategy 2019-2022
- Home Affairs, COVID-19 travel restrictions
- Smart traveller
- Tips for coping with Coronavirus anxiety
- World Health Organisation COVID-19 information