Ian McPhee AO PSM
Phone: +61 2 620 50358
About the Commissioner
The office of the independent Public Sector Standards Commissioner (PSS Commissioner) was established as a result of amendments to the Public Sector Management Act 1994 (the PSM Act) that took effect on 1 September 2016. It has replaced the office of the Commissioner for Public Administration.
The PSS Commissioner is appointed by the Chief Minister under section 142 of the Public Sector Management Act 1994 (the PSM Act).
The PSS Commissioner does not have staff with discrete responsibility for supporting the office. Instead the PSS Commissioner relies on the capacity of staff of the Workforce Capability and Governance Division, and in particular, the Public Sector Management Group and the Professional Standards Unit, to support the office.
The PSS Commissioner is independent of the ACT Public Service, reporting directly to the Chief Minister.
Roles and Functions
Section 144 of the PSM Act outlines the central functions of the Commissioner, which are to:
- conduct investigations—
- about a matter declared by the Chief Minister in the way prescribed; and
- under an industrial instrument;
- provide advice to the Chief Minister about matters arising from an investigation conducted by the Commissioner;.
- in connection with an investigation conducted by the Commissioner—promote and provide advice about the public sector values, the public sector principles and the conduct required under this Act.
The PSS Commissioner also has the following functions under Part 6 of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2012:
- to give advice about public interest disclosures;
- to monitor the management of public interest disclosures by public sector entities;
- to review the way in which public sector entities investigate and deal with public interest disclosures generally, or particular public interest disclosures;
- to ensure just outcomes for people who make public interest disclosures, including by preventing and remedying the effect of detrimental action against people because of disclosures; and
- to undertake, or coordinate the undertaking of, education and training programs about public interest disclosures.