The Commissioner for Fair Trading has instituted proceedings in the ACT Supreme Court against Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd, alleging that it made false and misleading representations, and engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct, in relation to the advertising of plumbing services in the ACT.
It is alleged that, in contravention of the Australian Consumer Law (ACT), Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd:
- represented that advertised plumbing services were supplied by a business that had been in operation for at least 25 years, or in some cases 30 years, when this was not the case
- published advertisements under various business names, which represented that the advertised services were supplied by unrelated businesses, when in fact the businesses were related.
ACT Fair Trading Commissioner David Snowden said it is alleged that variations of the advertisements were published over a hundred times between 2016 and 2018 in local publications as well as in the Yellow Pages and online.
“Based on the number of advertisements published under different business names, it is alleged that consumers may have formed the impression that the plumbing services were offered by unrelated businesses when that is not the case,” Mr Snowden said.
“It is also alleged that Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd misrepresented the number of years that it had been operating.
“This case highlights the need for all licensed individuals and companies to ensure that advertisements are accurate and not misleading.”
“Access Canberra is continuing to monitor advertisements as part of its compliance activities.”
The Commissioner for Fair Trading is seeking declarations, injunctions, pecuniary penalties, corrective advertising, and costs through the proceedings.
Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd was registered as a company on 21 May 2015.
It is alleged that Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd published advertisements under the following business names:
- Canberra Blocked Drain Services
- Canberra Emergency Hot Water Solutions
- Canberra Hot Water Systems and Repairs
- Canberra Solar Hot Water Solutions
- P1 Plumbing and Electrical Services
- Priority One Plumbing and Electrical Services
- North Canberra Plumbing
- Roof Plumbing Canberra
- Sam’s Local Plumbing
- Tuggeranong Plumbing
- Your Local Plumber ACT
It is also alleged that the sole director and shareholder of Your Local Plumbing Group Pty Ltd, Mr Shameer Khan, was knowingly concerned in the alleged conduct.
- Statement ends -
Section: Access Canberra | Media Releases