Canberrans enjoying the light rail launch day on Saturday 20 April will be supported by road closures to allow safe queuing and entertainment in the City and Gungahlin Town Centre.
Sections of Northbourne Avenue and Gungahlin town centre will be closed to traffic to create safe area for people to queue for light rail rides and enjoy entertainment. There will also be traffic and queue management for safe access at other light rail stops. Canberrans travelling to these events are advised to use free public transport. Other motorists should avoid the areas or allow extra time for their journeys.
“Launching light rail is an exciting milestone in Canberra’s history and we want to make sure people can safely queue to ride light rail when it opens on Saturday 20 April,” Light Rail Project Director Meghan Oldfield said.
The launch events will run from 9am to 4pm at Civic and Gungahlin. Passengers riding the light rail will have to get off the light rail at each terminus to give people waiting there a chance to board, but they will be able to enjoy entertainment while they wait at either end. To make more room for passengers, bikes won’t be allowed on board on launch day.
“People need to be aware that a number of road closures will be in place that will cause delays, particularly in the City, which will make it important for people to be patient and consider alternative routes.
“We’re urging the community to plan ahead and make plenty of time to reach their destinations if travelling through the City.
“Better yet, why not leave the car at home and take advantage of free buses across the network to get you to and from the event or one of the many Park and Ride options available including at GIO Stadium, CIT Bruce and the Treasury Building in Parkes.
“Traffic controllers will be on site to guide motorists, cyclists and pedestrians through the area and barriers as well as warning and detour signs will be erected to alert people to the road closures and changed traffic conditions.”
Road closure locations and timing
City: 4am Saturday 20 April – 6am Sunday 21 April
- Road closures will take place in the City between London Circuit and Barry Drive from 4am on Saturday 20 April with roads re-opening by 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road signage will indicate northbound detours onto London Circuit and southbound detours onto Barry Drive or Cooyong Streets.
Gungahlin: 9pm on Friday 19th April to 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road closures will take place in the Gungahlin Town Centre at Gungahlin Place, Hibberson and Ernest Cavanagh Streets.on streets surrounding the light rail stop and the interchange from 9pm on Friday 19th April to 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road users should take note of road signage which will have detours in place.
Along the light rail corridor
- Motorists intent on travelling near the light rail alignment during the light rail launch are encouraged to note changed traffic conditions and reduced speed limits, particularly on Northbourne Avenue.
For more information on the light rail launch visit www.transport.act.gov.au or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases