Congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Canberra Region Tourism Awards which were announced at a gala ceremony at the Australian War Memorial last night.
The ACT’s tourism sector is booming – supporting more than 16,000 jobs and contributing close to $2.5 billion to the ACT’s economy.
The awards are an important program for recognising excellence and supporting business development. The category winners reflect the diversity of product in the Canberra region across public and private sector and quality of product and experiences available to visitors.
The National Gallery of Australia took out the award for Major Tourist Attraction while the National Arboretum Canberra won the Tourist Attractions Award.
Taking out the Major Festivals and Events award was the National Museum of Australia for its Rome: City and Empire exhibition, a partnership with the British Museum. The Festivals and Events Award went to the Canberra Balloon Spectacular, part of the Enlighten Festival.
The Canberra Region Visitors Centre won the Visitor Information Service category and the Royal Australian Mint was awarded the Cultural Tourism Award.
Dynamic Motivation/Stromlo Shuttle Bus, a transport service to mountain bikers at Stromlo Forest Park won the Adventure Tourism award. Shaw Wines took home the Tourism Wineries, Distilleries and Breweries award.
Taking out the accommodation awards were Jamala Wildlife Lodge (Unique Accommodation), Leumeah Lodge (Standard Accommodation), Little National Hotel (Deluxe Accommodation) and Hyatt Hotel Canberra – A Park Hyatt Hotel (Luxury Accommodation).
The Awards – presented by the National Capital Attractions Association – recognised the outgoing Australian War Memorial Director Brendan Nelson with an award for the Outstanding Contribution by an Individual Award.
The award winners will now compete against their category winners from across Australia at the 2019 Qantas Australian Tourism Awards being held in Canberra in March 2020.
The full list of Canberra Region Tourism Awards 2019 winners:
- Major Tourist Attractions - National Gallery of Australia
- Tourist Attractions - National Arboretum Canberra
- Major Festivals and Events - National Museum of Australia, Rome: City and Empire
- Festivals and Events - Canberra Balloon Spectacular (Events ACT)
- Cultural Tourism - Royal Australian Mint
- Specialised Tourism Services - GetAboutAble
- Visitor Information Services - Canberra and Region Visitors Centre
- Business Event Venues - National Convention Centre Canberra
- Adventure Tourism - Dynamic Motivation/Stromlo Shuttle Bus
- Destination Marketing - Destination Southern Highlands‘ Pie Time’
- Tourism Wineries, Distilleries and Breweries - Shaw Wines
- Unique Accommodation - Jamala Wildlife Lodge
- Standard Accommodation - Leumeah Lodge
- Deluxe Accommodation - Little National Hotel
- Luxury Accommodation - Hyatt Hotel Canberra – A Park Hyatt Hotel
- New Tourism Business - Book Canberra Excursions
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual - Brendan Nelson
- Tourism Visitor Education - National Capital Authority
- Markus Gibson-Huck Young Achiever Award - Michael Liu, Dionysus Movement
- Statement ends -
Section: Andrew Barr, MLA | Media Releases
(02) 6205 2974
0422 772 215