Visit one of the oldest properties in Yass, learn about historic methods of making paint, discover our region’s secrets on a heritage walk or even attend a German beer festival over the final weekend of the 2018 Canberra and Region Heritage Festival.
“The Heritage Festival this year has been a whirlwind of fun with over 130 events exploring stories from the many communities, cultures and identities that have shaped our region,” festival coordinator Linda Roberts said.
“With the Festival drawing to a close for the year, there are still plenty of opportunities for you get out over weekend and attend and event with family and friends,” Mrs Roberts said.
- Get your lederhosen ready and attend a German beer festival. The Harmonie Club is celebrating 500 years of Reinheitsgebot – the beer purification laws that enabled German brewers to make their mark in pubs around the world.
- Head to Cliftonwood in Yass for a rare chance to enjoy a day on a historic farm. See rare steam and petrol engines, vintage farm machinery, farm animals, period food, live music, dress ups, and children’s activities.
- Discover how the ACT got its distinctive shape at Namadgi National Park! Join a talk with Brett McNamara from ACT Parks and Conservation Services to learn about the surveyors and pastoralists who moulded and shaped the nature of our bush capital.
- Learn historical methods of making paint at a demonstration from Endangered Heritage. Discover traditional methods and techniques for transforming pigment into watercolour, oil or egg tempera paint.
- Enjoy a choral recital at All Saints Anglican Church. Round off your 2018 Festival experience by attending a concert at one of Ainslie’s historic churches.
- Discover natural and cultural heritage connected to Yarralumla on a heritage walk. Learn about Aboriginal heritage, the early Canberra workers settlement, and the habitat of the heritage-listed button wrinklewort plant.
- Ring a church bell and explore the headstones of Canberra’s early pioneers at St Johns Church, churchyard and Schoolhouse Museum.
The 2018 Canberra and Region Heritage Festival runs until Sunday 29 April. For more information and to view the program visit www.act.gov.au/heritagefestival.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate | Media Releases
02 6205 4518
0401 766 218