Can’t get enough of the Canberra Region Heritage Festival? Don’t worry – there is still another week of fun, educational and interactive activities happening across the capital exploring our region’s unique history.
This year’s Heritage Festival has been exploring ‘S P A C E’, offering visitors the opportunity to learn about our space history and discover the vast spaces of our very own bush capital.
Over the next week you can:
- Head out on a self-guided family tour of the art in Commonwealth Park. Each day throughout the Festival you can collect an adventure map at the National Capital Exhibition to uncover the artworks in the park and then return to create your own masterwork.
- Listen to creative professionals from the Design Institute of Australia speak about what ‘space’ means in their work and practice. On Wednesday 1 May, listen to three artists talks, followed by an interactive discussion with the audience. This is the first of three speaker’s series events with creatives.
- Learn about the historic hotels of our region at the Mercure. The ANU Archives has digitised the photographs of nearly 3,000 hotels across the ACT and NSW. On Thursday 2 May, the event shows you how to access these and other historic records.
- Take a walk with a botanist on Black Mountain. Find out what spaces of this diverse landscape are preferred by brittle gum, apple box, red stringybark trees and many other native plants.
- Learn how to take breathtaking photographs of the Milky Way! On Friday night, Join Award winning photographer Ari Rex for a workshop about key techniques and considerations for night sky photography. Looking for inspiration? Head to his exhibition at Namadgi Visitors Centre first!
- Looking for that rare history book? Head along to the Canberra and District Society’s book fair for a wide range of both new and second hand history books covering local, national and international history.
Celebrate your journey and experiences during this year’s Festival by sharing your favourite moments in a photo competition. You’ll even go in the draw to win great prizes.
Bookings are essential for many events. To find out more, visit www.act.gov.au/heritagefestival
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate | Media Releases
(02) 6205 4518
0422 660 867