Visitors can expect another weekend of fun, interactive and inspiring events as part of the 2019 Canberra and Region Heritage Festival. Uncover hidden historic sites, go on a treasure hunt, come along to author talks, explore Canberra’s heritage on foot, enjoy a picnic and take part in an Easter moon rock hunt.
- Explore Canberra on a treasure hunt. Get together a team to solve riddles that will take you to different suburbs in Canberra, uncover hidden historic sites, explore contemporary art and colourful local characters.
- Join an author talk to learn about the explorations of Hamilton Hume. Acclaimed author and biographer, Robert Macklin will speak about his book 'Hamilton Hume: Our Greatest Explorer' which spotlights on Hume’s life, times and achievements.
- Picnic at Rock Valley. Bring your picnic lunch and soak up the historic atmosphere, where nature and culture collide at Rock Valley Homestead. Listen to stories and recollections by locals, including the Tidbinbilla Pioneers. Share some billy tea and damper, have fun with space craft and games—including an Easter moon rock hunt!
- Explore Mulligans Flat on a Heritage Walk to the Woodland Sanctuary. The Woodland Sanctuary project has reintroduced several birds and animals into the woodland including Bettongs and Brown Tree Creepers.
- Celebrate Easter with the Macedonian community. The Macedonian Orthodox Church St Klement of Ohrid will celebrate 30 years of its existence. Learn about the Christian Orthodox tradition associated with Easter and marvel at the fresco painting featuring Jesus Christ and the 12 Apostles.
- Settling in the Ginninderra district. Learn how people in the 1860's and 1870's chose blocks of land to build a home and a farm, and gradually, a community. Early maps and plans will help show how six pioneering families made Ginninderra home.
Celebrate your journey and experiences during this year’s festival by sharing your favourite moments in the Heritage Festival photo competition. You’ll even go in the draw to win great prizes.
Bookings are essential for many events. To find out more, visit www.act.gov.au/heritagefestival.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate | Media Releases
(02) 6205 4518
0401 766 218