State of Alert declared for ACT


Released 02/01/2020 - Joint media release

A State of Alert was declared for the ACT this afternoon and ACT ESA Commissioner Georgeina Whelan was appointed as the Emergency Controller.

“A State of Alert is a signal to the community that we must all be prepared for extreme conditions,” Minister Berry said.

“Following advice from the ESA Commissioner to the Government this morning about the bushfire conditions in the days ahead, it was determined that a State of Alert was an appropriate response to the expected weather conditions. The ESA will continue to monitor the conditions and risk.”

“We know many Canberrans are anxious about smoke and the risk to properties from potential bushfires. This measure will allow the ESA to further prepare in the case of an emergency.”

For people travelling from the South Coast and needing a break, the ACT Government has set up a Relief Centre at Dickson College to provide assistance and support. The Government is also looking to establish driver reviver spots along the Monaro Highway and the supply of P2 face masks to Canberrans that need them most.

“People are welcome to stop at the College for a cuppa or cold water. Friendly faces from Comms @Work and Anglicare are on site to greet you, as are councillors,” Minister Berry said.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services Mick Gentleman said it was important that the ACT community was well prepared ahead of more extreme weather conditions.

“The ACT Government has determined that the best way we can ensure our community is prepared is by putting in place arrangements that will ensure our emergency services are able to be as responsive as possible,” Minister Gentleman said.

“We have been well briefed by ACT ESA Commissioner Georgeina Whelan and given the extreme weather conditions in the coming days, particularly on Saturday, we believe this is the best measure to ensure the preparedness of our community.”

“Canberrans can help by preparing a their own bushfire survival plan. The plan will assist in preparing households to survive the threat of a bushfire.”

As previously announced, the ACT Government will also be donating $10,000 to the Australian Red Cross Bushfire Disaster Appeal, which is supporting Australians who have been impacted by these unprecedented bushfires. Donations can be made at www.redcross.org.au.

For all updates in relation to the State of Alert, please visit the ESA website at esa.act.gov.au.

- Statement ends -

Section: Yvette Berry, MLA | Mick Gentleman, MLA | Media Releases

Media Contacts

Name Phone Mobile Email

Mark Paviour

02 6205 2775

0466 521 634

mark.paviour@act.gov.au


«ACT Government Media Releases | «Minister Media Releases