Infrastructure upgrades are underway across the Molonglo Valley region to ensure that both road and water infrastructure is in place to accommodate the expected growth in the area.
“The ACT Government is committed to delivering the necessary infrastructure upgrades to accommodate population growth in our region,” said acting Director Capital Works Jeremy Smith.
“In the Molonglo Valley region we’re reconstructing Coppins Crossing Road (to be renamed John Gorton Drive) as a dual carriageway, installing traffic signals at its existing intersection with William Hovell Drive and providing signalised intersections along John Gorton Drive for access into the future suburban areas of Molonglo. In addition, a new 600 millimetre water main is being constructed from Weetangera Reservoir to supply these new suburban areas.
“The first stage of these works are underway and are expected to be completed in early 2019.”
The first stage of works includes:
- upgrading 900 metres of Coppins Crossing Road (to be known as John Gorton Drive), south of William Hovell Drive to a dual carriageway
- upgrading and signalising the intersection of the John Gorton Drive and William Hovell Drive
- building a new signalised intersection on John Gorton Drive (along the new dual carriageway) for access to new areas of Molonglo, including the future suburb of Whitlam
- constructing a 600 millimetre water main from Weetangera Reservoir to Whitlam.
“A number of milestones have been achieved since work began in the middle of last year including the construction of the future southbound carriageway of John Gorton Drive. Two way traffic was moved onto this new carriageway in June this year so work could be undertaken on the northbound carriageway. Earthworks and drainage work on the northbound carriageway is complete and road pavement work is now underway.
“Signalisation work at the intersection of the future John Gorton Drive and William Hovell Drive is underway. It was necessary to first construct the southbound carriageway of John Gorton Drive prior to undertaking works at the intersection. These works require numerous traffic switches to allow the intersection pavement to be reconstructed while maintaining traffic flows.
“From Friday 30 November 2018 there will be a minor traffic diversion associated with this work. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause and ask that all road users drive carefully and follow the directions of signage and traffic controllers,” concluded Mr Smith.
Location and timing of works
Road construction works will take place at the intersection of William Hovell Drive and Coppins Crossing Road from Friday 30 November to Friday 7 December 2018. There will be no right turn into Coppins Crossing Road (John Gorton Drive) from William Hovell Drive (eastbound) between the hours of 10 am and 7 pm daily. Motorists will be detoured via Coulter Drive.
Effects on traffic
- Delays are expected.
- Barriers as well as warning and diversion signs will be erected to alert people to the temporary road closures.
- Drivers are asked to be mindful of the changed traffic arrangements and adhere to the work zone speed limit of 40 km/h.
For more information on this project, the other stages of work and other projects in the area, visit www.tccs.act.gov.au or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases