The intersection of William Hovell Drive and Coppins Crossing Road will be closed for three nights from 7 pm on Saturday 2 February 2019 to complete the last stage of major roadworks at the intersection.
The ACT Government is committed to delivering the necessary infrastructure upgrades to accommodate population growth in the Molonglo Valley region. The next stage of works involves the reconstruction of Coppins Crossing Road (to be renamed John Gorton Drive) as a dual carriageway and the installation of traffic lights at its existing intersection with William Hovell Drive.
Location and timing of works
Road resurfacing works will take place at the intersection of William Hovell Drive and Coppins Crossing Road on the nights of Saturday 2, Sunday 3 and Monday 4 February 2019 between the hours of 7 pm and 6 am. These works have been scheduled at night to minimise impact to motorists.
Access will be restricted to William Hovell Drive as follows:
- William Hovell Drive will be closed west of Bindubi Street through to Drake-Brockman Drive
- there will be no access to William Hovell Drive from Coppins Crossing Road
- Coppins Crossing Road will be closed north from Holborow Avenue
- there will be no right turn from Drake-Brockman Drive onto William Hovell Drive
- there will be no access to William Hovell Drive from Kingsford Smith Drive
- there will be no access from Coulter Drive onto William Hovell Drive.
Detours will be in place. Motorists are advised to follow the directions of traffic controllers.
Preparatory work will be undertaken during the day on Thursday 31 January and Friday 1 February 2019 and night works will also continue following the road closures between Tuesday 5 and Monday 11 February 2019. This work will involve minor traffic diversions within the work site but no road closures.
Effects on traffic
- Delays are expected.
- Barriers as well as warning and diversion signs will be erected to alert people to the temporary road closures.
- Drivers are asked to be mindful of the changed traffic arrangements and adhere to any work zone speed limit of 40 km/h.
These works will complete road resurfacing at the intersection. In the coming months a number of milestones will be met including:
- final road resurfacing and opening of all lanes for the first 900 metres of John Gorton Drive (Coppins Crossing Road) south from the William Hovell Drive intersection
- traffic lights at the intersection of William Hovell Drive and John Gorton Drive (Coppins Crossing Road) becoming operational.
For more information on this project, the other stages of work and other projects in the area, visit www.tccs.act.gov.au or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
- Statement ends -
Section: ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases