Works to support major infrastructure improvements across the city are continuing. An update on some of these works and upcoming changes are available below.
Raising London Circuit project
Construction will soon begin to raise London Circuit to better connect the city and the lake and enable light rail Stage 2 to be built. Selected car parks across the city will be used as construction site compounds and construction sites as part of the project.
Parking capacity will be reduced or removed at four car parks with areas fenced off to be used for construction activities and for site offices, storage, deliveries, amenities as well as machinery and worker parking.
The four car parks are:
- ACT Government surface City Hill car park (corner of Constitution Avenue and London Circuit)
- ACT Government surface car park at 41 Marcus Clarke Street
- ACT Government Acton waterfront surface car park
- ACT Government surface car park at the corner of London Circuit and Edinburgh Avenue.
Parking spaces will be removed as site compounds and work sites are established progressively. The establishment of the main site office compound in the City Hill car park is to be set-up from 29 September and the compound at 41 Marcus Clarke Street is to be set up from 5 October.
Parking spaces at the remaining two car parks will be removed or reduced later in 2022. Further information will be provided ahead of the closures.
Coranderrk Street and Parkes Way intersection upgrade
Construction is underway at the roundabout intersection of Coranderrk Street and Parkes Way to install traffic lights to control the westbound right turn from Parkes Way into Coranderrk Street and improve traffic flow during the upcoming construction of major infrastructure projects.
Planned weekend closures are underway with westbound access from Parkes Way into Coranderrk Street temporarily removed. This means vehicles are unable to turn right at the roundabout intersection. Detours are via Anzac Parade and Edinburgh Avenue.
The next four planned closures are on the following weekends (weather permitting):
- Midnight Friday 30 September to 6 am Monday 3 October
- Midnight Friday 7 October to 6 am Monday 10 October
- Midnight Friday 14 October to 6 am Monday 17 October
- Midnight Friday 21 October to 6 am Monday 24 October.
If you’re visiting Floriade on one of these weekends, please be mindful of the changed traffic arrangements in place. For more information about access and parking for Floriade, visit www.floriadeaustralia.com
Upgrades within Verity and Odgers lanes
Verity and Odgers lanes are getting a makeover with more outdoor dining, lighting, heritage tree protection, new paving, new landscaping and stormwater upgrades.
Ahead of commencing stormwater upgrades in each of the lanes, watermain infrastructure running along London Circuit must be relocated and new stormwater pipes built. This requires two consecutive partial weekend closures of London Circuit.
- From 8 pm Friday 30 September to 6 am Tuesday 4 October 2022, London Circuit will be closed eastbound between Northbourne Avenue and East Row (weather permitting).
- From 8 pm Friday 7 October to 6 am Monday 10 October 2022, London Circuit will be closed eastbound between West Row and Northbourne Avenue (weather permitting).
During these times there will be no access to Verity or Odgers lanes from London Circuit and lane reductions will also be in place westbound on London Circuit with only one lane open. Through traffic on Northbourne Avenue will be unaffected.
Vernon Circle traffic lights and City Hill footpath
To support the movements of buses and other vehicles during the construction of upcoming infrastructure projects, the ACT Government will also install temporary traffic lights on the northern side of Vernon Circle to allow safe movements onto Constitution Avenue and London Circuit. This work is expected to commence from Wednesday 5 October 2022 and is expected to take around 8-12 weeks.
To facilitate this work, the Vernon Circle northern slip lane will be closed for the duration of the work and there will be intermittent lane closures of Northbourne Avenue. The following road closures are planned to be undertaken at night on during the following dates (weather permitting):
- 7 pm Monday 10 October to 6 am Friday 14 October - Northbourne Avenue, southbound at London Circuit. A detour will be in place via London Circuit east between Constitution Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue
- 7 pm Monday 17 October to 6 am Friday 21 October - Commonwealth Avenue and London Circuit and Edinburgh Avenue. A detour via the London Circuit off ramp can be used for northbound traffic. Traffic coming off Constitution Avenue will be detoured via Edinburgh Avenue
To support walking and cycling access around the city area during the construction period and beyond, the ACT Government will construct a permanent new footpath and pedestrian signals between Constitution Avenue and Edinburgh Avenue. These works will occur at the same time to install traffic lights at Vernon Circle and may require intermittent lane closures during off peak periods and at night.
There are going to be a range of impacts in coming years to support the construction of significant infrastructure projects in and around the city precinct. We thank Canberrans for their patience as this work takes place.
Details on upcoming traffic and parking changes can be found at BuiltforCBR.act.gov.au/travel-impacts
- Statement ends -
ACT Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate | Media Releases
0466 794 522
0428 970 699